Monday, January 09, 2006

They Act. We React. I Enact.

In the Movie Industry, many Personalities exist. In words of Chris Rock “Some of them are just boys in tights”, while some, truly, are Stars. Nicholas Cage is a Star; Robert Di Niro is a Star; Sean Connery is a Star; Cuba Gooding, Jr. is a Star; Tom Hanks is a Star; and on and on the list goes. It is the performance of this quota of actors that stays with us long after the movie (and the hype generated by it) is over.

Many weeks ago, I got to watch Disney’s National Treasure. Initially I was skeptical about the movie, because to me, movies with the prefix “Disney’s” meant something amateur and suited only for the genre of 6 -15 yr.

I was wrong.

Unlike any other Disney Movie, National Treasure was a Jerry Bruckheimer’s Production, the legend who made blockbusters like Gone in 60 Seconds and The Rock; and this movie had Nicholas Cage, who does not need any introduction, obviously. Cage potrayed the character of Ben Gates, a Treasure Hunter, with such brilliance that it seemed like he really was Gates in real life, and not just another character on the Idiot Box. It was this movie that made me ponder over the whole phenomenon of actors, personalities, stars and legends.

On queue, I saw The Rock. Incidentally, this movie is also a product of Mr. Bruckheimer and has a superb cast, which includes Cage, Connery, and (Ed) Harris. If anyone reminisced about Qayamat being a Bollywood rip-off The Rock, they might have been right in terms of the story line and (to some extent) the characters, but it is nowhere near the perfection of the latter. One of the most amusing things I found in The Rock was the repetitive use of the F – Word. Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage were a nice combination of “The Tough” and “The Nice”.

Gone In 60 Seconds rides an “unstoppable wave of speed and adrenaline” in the 2nd Disc. I mention the “2nd Disk”, because, unfortunately, some nincompoop cracked and scratched the 1st Disc and the Disc Lender is just too lazy to replace it. 60 Seconds is a fast paced action-thriller and really worth watching with the lights off, and a bowl of popcorn.

Ah … I see I mentioned “Robert Di Niro” and “Cuba Gooding, Jr.”. Thus, it will only be appropriate to pep about some of their masterpieces as well. Anyone wishing to watch Niro and Gooding, Jr. together should watch “Men of Honor”. A nice movie, which surprisingly also stars Charlize Theron. Star Movies plays Men of Honor many a times, you might watch it. And, of course, anyone in mood to watch Niro in a comic role, should watch Meet the Parents / Meet the Fockers. Real Masterpieces.

Right now, my hands are cold and I cannot type any longer, without the potential fear of loosing one of my fingers. So, until some dark corner of my mind prods me (with a very pointed stick) to pen down my thoughts and inklings again, Good Bye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home